Thursday, May 13, 2010

More of...The Isle of Man Times and the 1939 TT.......

I'm currently in the USA kickin' tyres with my US Velo friends, staying with good friend Micky Felder of Felder's Body Shop...check out an earlier blog on Mick's shop in Hermosa Beach Cal.
http://velobanjogent.blogspot.com/2008/05/felders-body-shopa-toy-emporium-for.html
Or look over on the RHS of this blog for "Motorcycle Car and Accessory Shops" under the subjects headings and scroll through them...
I brought a laptop computer with me to download some Velocette material for Lenore Cox the US Velo Club editor of their good Club magazine "Fishtail West"....
So why not update my blog.....
A first for me not in the comfort of my office and archive at home....
But you'll recall several blogs back I started posting details from The Isle of Man times...I'd scanned in additional material at that time and so we'll go back to 1939, June and the TT races in the Isle of Man.....
Little to comment on them, as the original comment under the pics is included.
Sadly for Velocette enthusiasts there is the report of the death of Harold Willis, the race engineer who went into hospital for a minor operation and died of Meningitis.....
As I said before, several IOM newspapers closed in the 1980's, so unsure of who to credit....
Left click on the images to enlarge.
You'll notice that while this features the 1939 IOM Times, this following heading is from the 1936 IOM Times...kindly pointed out by Paul Adams a KTT owner in Colorado, USA....
As mentioned I'm in the US and my archive is in Sydney, so I featured the 1936 heading again to get the newspaper leader....

Bo Ekland from Sweden has emailed me and commented....The picture in your last blog ( this blog, DQ ) showing some wonderful pictures from the I. of M. Daily Times.
The pix above, showing the NSU team should read: Wilhelm Hertz is the man on the extreme right and Otto Rührschneck is the man behind the machines headlamp. A correction of a 70 years old mistake.....


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dennis. It was great to see you yesterday. Thanks for sharing the photos on your laptop. I look forward to seeing many of them posted onto your site.

I posted a few pics and stories about the Velo Spring Opener on Occhiolungo. take a look if you have time.

ciao,
Pete